It's coming up on Thanksgiving but we can still wear sundresses here. :)
So anyway, while I try to figure out what to do with the necklace, I decided to whip up this cute little dress for my daughter. I started out with this tutorial from Martha Stewart's website and a yard of cute pink and green plaid.
Anyway, as it turns out, since this dress is basically one large rectangle, I really only needed 1/2 yd for a cute knee length dress. However, there were these super cute skirts on all the girls in Japan which were using plaid in layers (like a shorter peasant skirt) but alternating with the pattern on bias (diagonal).
So anyway, since I needed about 16 inches of length, I decided to make the top 12 inches with a 4 inch ruffle on the bias. It took about 2 hours to make the dress from start to finish. There is plenty left over for patch pockets and some additional things like a sash or small purse. (I might end up making new shoulder ties- we'll see how hard they are to tie as is. I really hate to have long dangly ties on my own clothes, so I deliberately made these short.) Also, thanks to smocking, the dress can eventually be used as a top with some jeans.
We'll see if we can get the girl to wear it. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment