Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Caps for Connor


Yes, yes, I also sew. Anyway, I have a soft spot for kids with cancer because when I was about 7-8 years old, one of my best friends had leukemia. So, when I heard about a young man suffering from a rare type of brain cancer, and that his friends were going to shave their heads in the dead of winter to keep him company, I couldn't help it. Anyway, I can't knit a stitch, but I did manage to sew up 11 fleece hats. Of course, my son wanted one, so we're only sending 10. Don't ask me what the kid thinks he's going to do with a fleece hat in Hawaii, but I guess it's a good sign that he thinks mom makes cool stuff!

You can read about Connor's Caps here. Connor's school is having a hat day in December, so any donations would have to be in the mail this week. However, you can always donate hats and other things to The Ship's Project. I will never forget being deployed to the Gulf and having a box of knit hats, booties, and mittens arrive. The guys in my department were ALL OVER that box, even though it was something like 120 degrees out on the flight deck. Why? Because, believe it or not, it gets cold in the winter. REALLY cold. I took a hat (even though I didn't think I needed one) because the guys told me to. OH MY GOODNESS. I never would've imagined it could get THAT cold!

2 comments:

Sara said...

You ROCK! :)
(((((((M)))))))

Unknown said...

No, YOU rock!! :)