Monday, January 3, 2011

Charmed, I'm Sure!

I recently decided to sit down and figure out how to drill some of the beach glass on my own.  There are classes to teach you how to do it, but there are also tons of free videos and resources online and I already had everything I needed on hand, so I decided to take my chances.  As you can see, it didn't take rocket science and once I got started, I got a little carried away...

 This little piece was my favorite of the bunch.  I gave it to a friend/co-worker who moved back to Australia.  The rest are, of course, listed on Etsy.

Of course, you can't have Hawaiian jewelry without having a honu in the bunch!  I love this little charm.  Picked it up at a local bead store and hadn't quite decided on what to do with him.

This piece of glass is really wavy so I had to put some thought into where to drill and what to do with it, but the result is a really nice, unique and organic looking piece.   You can see the deep curvy etches in the surface, which you can't replicate in a tumbler.

This piece of glass is super thick.  It looks to me like it's actually the bottom of a very large jug or jar.  (See the raised curved line?  There is also a very faint pattern in an arc, parallel to that raised curve.)   The swallow charm was chosen for its nautical ties- sailors believe that swallow tattoos bring protection on long sea voyages.

This piece of glass has a really nice color to it.  Most green glass on the beaches around here belong to Heineken bottles or old shoyu (soy sauce) jugs.  This one has a lighter, brighter color.   :)  I really love the color and would've saved it to bezel set but it doesn't have a flat side so it would be nearly impossible to do...  speaking of which, I have also been working on bezel settings like the one I made in that silversmithing class.  It's much more difficult to do with the irregular shapes and sharper corners found on beach glass!

Please visit our Etsy store for all kinds of upcycled accessories and jewelry, created in Hawaii!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: